Lickpenny Caravan Park
Lickpenny is a peaceful site near Matlock set in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales. It’s spacious and green with facilities that are great for families.
Lickpenny Lane, Tansley, Matlock, Derbyshire, DE4 5PW OX18 4JJ
The site is set above the village of Tansley and close to the bustling Derbyshire town of Matlock. It’s within easy driving distance of MANY Peak District favourites including Chatsworth House and Bakewell, both just 8 miles away. The location of this site is a real advantage.
Facilities are a high standard, and this green and spacious park is a lovely spot for families with kids. There’s a large play area, surrounded by green playing fields. It gets a great big tick from us.
Across the road from the entrance of the site is Scotland Nurseries Garden Centre with a coffee shop, restaurant and award-winning Farm shop. Well, it would be rude not to sample some of the award-winning products, so I can confirm it’s well worth sampling a few favourites.
Who can stay?
Caravans, Motorhomes and campers. Dogs are welcomed.
What facilities will you find?
- Free Wifi hotspot
- Shop & Calor Gas Sales
- Children’s Play Area
- Grassy Play Field
- Toilets & Showers
Is Lickpenny family friendly?
Yes. A very calm and relaxed site, with a children’ play area and a lovely green open space to run free and play games.
Exploring the Derbyshire Dales
- Scotland Nurseries Garden Centre just a short walk and just across the road from the site. It has a coffee shop, restaurant and award-winning Farm shop.
- Tansley village (1 mile) down the hill with local pubs and restaurants.
- Tansley car boot market (every Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays) approx 10 minutes walk
- Ashover village (3 miles) is a picturesque Derbyshire village with beautiful walks and fabulous spots for eating and drinking.
- Matlock Town (3 miles away) with shops and cafes, including a couple of small supermarkets, a lovely park and play area with splash park. Also the Peak Rail steam train to Darley Dale and Rowsley.
- Matlock Bath (3 miles) like the seaside in landlocked Derbyshire, a place full of curiosities and entertainment.
- Rowsley (5 miles) with a historic flour mill complex.
- Crich (3 miles) with the wonderful Tramway Museum which is great for kids of all ages.
- Ogston Reservoir (2 miles) great for walking, bird watching and boating.
- Wingfield Manor (4 miles) English Heritage property.
- Bakewell (8 miles)
- Haddon Hall (7 miles)
- Chatsworth House (8 miles)
- Chesterfield (9miles) a large town that’s famous for its church with the crooked spire, approx 9 miles.
- Hardwick Hall (10 miles.
- Bolsover Castle (15 miles.
- Heights of Abraham (3 miles) ask at the site reception for discount tickets.
- Gulliver’s Kingdom (3 miles) great for the younger children. Mining Museum. Promenade walk with shops/coffee stops and eating places.
When is Lickpenny open?
All year round.
Why so special?
The beautiful views. It’s in the heart of the Peak District, with easy access to Matlock and many places worthy of a visit.
Green space. Huge amounts of green space around the site and there is a friendly feel to the site, welcoming families with kids and dogs. The play park is lovely too.
Interested in other sites in Derbyshire? We’ve also visited Callow Top… check it out.
We are a family of four, travelling around the UK in our caravan. Seeking hidden gems and special places. Learning to be more eco-conscious along the way.